Mansfield Park

I first fell in love with Jane Austen's literary genious when I read Pride and Predjudice as a Sophmore (during restitution). I am amazed at the way she uses words in their purest form: making them divinely beautiful. She can convey stronger opinions and feelings in a single sentence, than any other author I've ever seen could do when allowed an essay.

Her stories are so perfectly crafted so that she can convince the reader and unconvince them again like it was our own opinion from the start. Her characters are so real, her scenes so true to life, that you can't help but feel like you have some sort of claim to them from the time you spent together. I know it sounds wierd, but if you've read her you know. She is truly gifted!

Alas, I find old english dialect sneaking into my vocabulary for weeks after I've finished a book. I drive Zane crazy talking about 'what happened to Fanny today' over dinner like it falls in with all the rest of the daily gossip.

To be honest, as much as I respect Jane's writing abilites, I had been slightly disappointed with her other works (Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, Lady Susan, Persuasion, and Emma). Aside from wishing Lady Susan would fall on her face and Emma's pride would be wounded, I didn't much care what happened to most of the characters and the plot lines just weren't as enthraling as Pride and Predjudice. I feared I had read the greatest of them all first, leaving myself open to a disappointment with the others that might have been avoided had I read it last.

But then.... this month I discovered Mansfield Park and my love affair is renewed.


Here I must refrain from expounding for fear of exposing any of the juicy goodness you will find within. So, I make an end by stating that you simply must, must, must read this book. You're life will be forever the better; or at least you're month.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY HEAVENS!!! I also am in love with Jane Austen and her literary stylings! She is a pure genius. Mansfield Park is a classic that can be read and reread. Unfortunately it has been 2 years since I have read any of her books and now you have made me crave her literature!

Damien and Ashley said...

I've never read this but rest assured I WILL be checkingnit out at my local library!!!

P.S. We are super excited to see you guys!

Laura Hayes said...

Oh, I love Fanny Price. :) While
P & P is definitely my favorite, too, I also adore Sense and Sensibility and Emma. Have you seen the movie The Jane Austen Book Club? Love it!